While complaining about this process with a group of ladies, one lady piped up and said, “I have this great recipe that tastes just as good as Amish cinnamon bread and you don’t have to do anything special to it. You just mix it up and cook it. In fact, my husband has been eating this bread every morning for the past twenty years.”
That must be some good bread to be eating it every morning for the past 20 years. She was right, it was delicious!!! So, I thought I’d pass it on to my readers.
The Amazing Amish Cinnamon Bread Alternative
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups buttermilk or 2 cups milk plus 2 tablespoons vinegar or lemon juice
- 4 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- Cinnamon/sugar mixture:
- 2/3 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- Cream together butter, 2 cups of sugar, and eggs.
- Add milk, flour, and baking soda.
- Put 1/2 of batter (or a little less) into greased loaf pans (1/4 in each pan).
- Mix in separate bowl the 2/3 c sugar and cinnamon.
- Sprinkle 3/4 of cinnamon mixture on top of the 1/2 batter in each pan.
- Add remaining batter to pans; sprinkle with last of cinnamon topping.
- Swirl with a knife. Bake at 350 degrees for 45-50 min.
- or until toothpick tester come clean.
- Cool in pan for 20 minutes before removing from pan.